Wednesday, 2 February 2011

A Question of Love

I'm in a reflective mood today. I am wondering how many relationships are infinite? Are there any that last forever, or until you die? What causes a relationship to end? Are all relationships destined to end, some sooner than others? Perhaps it's better to expect something to end and thus avoid heartbreak and disappointment.

I suspect that, like me, most of you were raised to believe that the natural order of things was to seek out a partner. To believe that we somehow cannot be happy if we live alone without a special someone to share our days with. I truly doubt that of late. Is there a 'One' for everybody?

Do you ever look back on old love letters or correspondence and wonder what happened to the person in that correspondence? I was doing that today, after work, just looking back and wondering what happened, where it went wrong, recalling the emotions contained in those letters of love and devotion and feeling a yearning to be there again, at that place, in that moment of magic. That feeling of vibrancy, energy, love and joy! There's nothing like it in the world. However, losing it hurts so much, is it worth it? Is it really better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?

I used to be a believer of 'love conquers all', I'm not sure I believe that any more. That makes me sad, but perhaps I'm less of a dreamer and have my feet planted a little more firmly on the ground now.

Perhaps those people who have stuck together for years stay together out of fear, not out of love.....

So many questions.......Celine Dion 'Because You Loved Me' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CkKuA86Mis



5 comments:

  1. OO yes, because then You knoe that it is worth getting back on that horse again. I've a great deal more to say on the subject.. when time and working brain cels are more abundant.

    Please take care dear Lady

    silk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss,

    i would say that All things change, evolving or decaying. Often it is easy to mistake something that is moving forward in a natural progression. for something that is going wrong.

    i often play the "i should have" and the "only if" games, plus the " what did i do wrong ?." one. They are hard games because there is no winner and it takes an unnecessary toll on the guesser..

    i was not raised to seek a partner, so it is hard for me to say that...BUT.. i think that i can speak with authority to Your situation. I see Your issue not as one of IS there a person for You..but rather finding one that is worthy and deserving of You.

    You are a fanatic Woman and despite what is said of me, i am not a person who who is free with my compliments. You are beautiful, funny, strong willed and spitted. You have reach the maturity of Your sexuality and that is enormously attractive to those that have the eyes to discern that.

    Love is lifts You on wings of joy.. to dizzing and dazzling heights. Of course it plummets You to the dark dephts as well. .. but as a wise Woman once wrote.. it is all about taking that risk.

    Dreams ?.. dreams are what define our mortality and our humanity.

    i encourage You to celebrate Yourself and not deny some supremely luck boy, his dream.

    hugs

    silk

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES !!!

    i am so sorry Miss .

    i meant fantastic and spirited and amazing, surprising and sweet, marvelously magnificent and incredibly brilliant, astonishing fabulous, and staggeringly stupendous..plus.. forgiving.?

    sorry for the mis post Miss. i ran it thru spell check twice.. perhaps i need to defrag my brain.

    with affection

    silk

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, love doesn't conquer all. Sometimes you can't go on. Sometimes going on hurts you in areas outside of that relationship, or hurts other people you care about, and so going on is the wrong choice. Sometimes it's just time. We've said what there is to say, and no matter how much we care, we're better off without each other.

    And no, the vast majority of relationships aren't infinite. Almost every relationship you start will end, either in heartbreak, or in a sad, silent drifting apart. This doesn't just go for love, it goes for friendships as well. Think about all of the people you've ever called friends, and how many you still talk to.

    But I believe that thinking of longevity as the benchmark for a "successful" relationship is a fallacy. As you say, sometimes people stay together out of fear - of the unknown, of aloneness, of what people will say. Sometimes they stay together simply because being comfortably miserable is easier than making the effort to chase happiness. And all too often our shortest relationships are the ones that are the most full of passion, of pleasure, and of new experiences.

    Did you learn something about yourself? About people, or love, or strength? Do you have happy memories to look back on, when times are bad? Did you change or grow? Can you say that you made a positive impact on someone's life?

    Then that relationship was a success, no matter how long it lasted. Even the heartbreak, if it does end that way, can teach us something and change us for the better. We are the sum of our experiences, good and bad and while I would spare you any pain I could, you have emerged a strong, intelligent, capable woman. A beautiful person inside and out. And so I love the pain you've been through, because if you hadn't, I'd know a very different Destiny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miyani, thank you so much for your comment, that made me smile. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete