Sunday, 9 January 2011

Sisterhood

I've been mulling over the term 'Sisterhood' for a while now. I decided to put down some thoughts here.

I'm wondering what it means to be part of  a sisterhood. We often hear subs/slaves calling each other brother or sister. It's always felt a bit weird to me and I really don't think of all Dommes, or indeed all women, as my sisters. I have a sister in RL who means the world to me. I have special friends in RL, one of whom is akin to a sister. I have female friends on SL, who are special to me, but they are not sisters. It's a different relationship. I also have very special submissive friends on SL, both male and female, who, by default, cannot be part of the 'sisterhood'.

This next point is going to be unpopular with some, but it won't be the first time I've said something that caused a stir. *Grins*. I think that sometimes we Dommes tend to use the expression 'sisterhood' against each other and not in a helpful way ie. 'how could she do that to me? I thought we were sisters'. The point is, people hurt each other, no matter what gender they are. We don't all stick together, we are naturally selfish beings. I am not comfortable with saying that I am always going to put the women in my life first, because, quite frankly that is not true. I am not going to put my female friends before my sons, or before my own personal happiness. I would never set out to deliberately hurt anyone, male or female, but I do not put women above men. I am not a female supremacist. Some women are, as are some submissives, I know that. Some of my female friends believe in female supremacy. I, quite vehemently, do not. I do not think that women are better than men in any way, shape or form. I do not think that women are superior to males. I am, quite simply, a dominant woman who likes to dominate males.

So, is it just female supremacists who are part of a 'sisterhood'? I'm not sure. I am certainly proud to be a woman, I love being a woman and I love to share with my female friends on our special days that celebrate our femininity. Later this month I am hosting The Vagina Monologues Event at The Dominion, which is a celebration of womanhood. It's definitely a wonderful thing to have a common bond with other women, but does that make us superior to men? Absolutely not.

Anyway, I've had a bit of a rant and I'm still mulling it all over in my head....thoughts anyone? Please comment below or email me if you don't want to share: destiny.teardrop@gmail.com.

Michael Jackson's 'Will You Be There?' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRqYVFr7sL4&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. There are not superior beings. I know i am a sub, but this doesn't mean i am inferior to anybody at all. Female supremacism is to me just racism in the worst sense of the word. And, regarding sisterhood, it is (just my opinion, of course) one of the most stupid things i hear. In my sl (and even more in my rl) i have noticed that in general the relationships between women are much less frank then relationships between men. And the wicked actions Women are able to perform against other Women are just incredible. Sisterhood? It doesn't exist to me, and when someone shows that word again and again, i always suspect She's hiding something.

    ReplyDelete